The 80/20 Rule to Lose Weight in a Healthy Way

It’s common knowledge that depriving oneself of all treats and sweets simply isn’t sustainable and can also create and exacerbate an unhealthy relationship with food. Therefore, we suggest applying the 80/20 rule. The rule states that, for many events, roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes. 

It’s worth noting that this isn’t a “diet” or “weight loss tool”. The 80/20 is an approach to healthy eating, balancing, moderation and indulging without a guilty feeling. The basic idea of the 80/20 rule is very simple. In order to be healthy and balanced, we don’t always have to make 100% healthy food choices. 80% is enough. The remaining 20% we can choose less healthy food and indulge ourselves.

How to Incorporate It

Aim to cook from scratch using fresh ingredients. Eat locally sourced, seasonal foods full of nutrients. The body is not designed to constantly digest food and once we start eating foods that nourish the body we realize that we don’t need to eat every three to four hours. We begin to recognise what real hunger feels like.

Incorporate the 2 Meal Day. Fasting can improve energy levels, cognition, and body composition. The 2-Meal Day is a very simple way of keeping the diet in check without the need for counting calories or tracking macronutrients. Push the first meal later in the day and reap the rewards! It also gives added flexibility, for example in case we go out for dinner one evening or have a huge meal, then there is no need to eat breakfast the next day if there is no hunger.

Indulge on the weekends only. Save the 20% for the weekends. Sugar makes us feel lethargic. Therefore, save the desserts and dinners for the weekends as during the week we have to be efficient and productive.

Always go for quality. Even when indulging in 20% still try to find the highest quality possible. There is still sugar and other ingredients that may not contribute to optimal health, but by choosing the least processed option we can drastically decrease the number of artificial substances.

Enjoy it all, not just the 20%. Keep in mind, every meal is an opportunity to nourish our body. For many of us, every bite should count in order to reward us with fiber, protein, healthy fats, vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals. Learn to love the 80%—to crave fresh vegetables and home cooked food, then there will be very less cravings for the 20%. Instead of thinking of it as a reward, think of it as some wiggle room to enjoy life to its fullest!

Need more advice or treatment? Many health care experts at antarnaad are always here to help you out. Antarnaad is a growing network of experienced physiotherapists, dietitians and nutritionists, fitness trainers and Yoga experts providing treatment for all the conditions. For more information visit our website or call our Consultant: Mb: 9899700187